The story of Gulfstream GV N777TY
- Mechanics put popsicle sticks in the squat switches during maintenance (to put the plane “on the ground”, for troubleshooting, while on jacks).
- Mechanics forgot to remove the popsicle sticks.
- The pilots missed it on Preflight Inspection.
- The plane took off. Everything was out of whack so they went around for landing.
- At flare-out (60 ft. above the runway) the pilot brought the throttles back to idle.
- Because the plane thought it was still on the ground the spoilers deployed (all 6 of them).
- The plane slammed on the runway so hard the MLG (main landing gear) were pushed through the wings.
MORAL OF THE STORY
- PUT RED FLAGS ON YOUR POPSICLE STICKS!
- Or, use the recommended Ground/Flight Simulation Set.